Sex Workers Outreach Project-USA is a national social justice network dedicated to the fundamental human rights of people involved in the sex trade and their communities, focusing on ending violence and stigma through education and advocacy.
On the national level, SWOP helps build stronger communities and a stronger movement through technical assistance, funding, and direct support and advocacy. On a local level, our chapters address structural, cultural, and interpersonal violence individuals in the sex trade face by working to change attitudes, change policies, and create alternative community-led systems of support.
What We Do
- Community Support Line – We operate a 24/7 volunteer-staffed warmline where current and former sex workers and adult industry workers, as well as activists can access direct support. Call (877)-776-2004 or learn more here.
- Funding – We offer fiscal sponsorship and funding to local, sex-worker-led initiatives. In 2014, we awarded over $50,000 in grants which supported sex worker festivals, planning retreats, conference fees and travel, office space, and advocacy event costs. To see funding opportunities, click here
- Media and Advocacy — We organize media and advocacy and help facilitate inter-organization research, campaigns and projects. We maintain a media list and help draft press releases and publicize campaigns and events. To see our media impact, click here
- Mentoring and Leadership Development – We mentor and provide support to new organizers and initiatives directly and through on-line resources. You can access our resources, learn about starting a chapter or project, and connect with us through this website.
- Shared Infrastructure and Communications - We maintain media lists, websites, newsletters, and social media chapters can utilize in their work and to amplify their activism. In particular, we bottom-line coordination of Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers and help new chapters and grassroots projects acquire phone-lines, fax lines, email addresses, newsletters, affordable start-up supplies and web domains.
- Self-Care and Sustainability – We manage and distribute mental health fund to ensure sex workers, activists, and grassroots groups have access to individual services and group facilitation and mediation.
Learn more about our approach to fighting violence here!
Learn more about our chapter work here!
Sex Workers Outreach Project is a 501(c)3 Non-Profit incorporated in the state of California. Donations to Sex Workers Outreach Project are tax deductible.