Sex Workers Outreach Project-USA is a national social justice network dedicated to the fundamental human rights of sex workers and their communities, focusing on ending violence and stigma through education and advocacy.
What We Do
- Helpline – We operate a 24/7 warmline where current and former sex workers can access direct support.
- Funding – We offer fiscal sponsorship and funding to local, sex-worker-led initiatives. In 2014, we awarded over $50,000 in grants which supported sex worker festivals, planning retreats, conference fees and travel, office space, and advocacy event costs. To see funding opportunities, click here
- Media and Advocacy — We organize media and advocacy and help facilitate inter-organization research, campaigns and projects. We maintain a media list and help draft press releases and publicize campaigns and events. To see our media impact, click here
- Mentoring and Leadership Development – We mentor and provide support to new organizers and initiatives directly and through on-line resources.
- Shared Infrastructure and Communications - We maintain media lists, websites, newsletters, and social media chapters can utilize in their work and to amplify their activism. In particular, we bottom-line coordination of Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers and help new chapters and grassroots projects acquire phone-lines, fax lines, email addresses, newsletters, affordable start-up supplies and web domains.
- Self-Care and Sustainability – We manage and distribute mental health fund to ensure sex workers, activists, and grassroots groups have access to individual services and group facilitation and mediation.